Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Alternative Education

My job as educator to my children is to make sure they get what they need and give them lots of space to grow, explore and learn.  I have tried with some successes and some failures but that is what life is all about.  I do my best to give my children all their options.  We do not require college after high school but try to give them what they need if they choose the college option.  I don't feel that college makes them a better or smarter person.  I don't believe that college makes the man (or woman).  I think if there is a desire and a career that calls for college then by all means go to college, but there are many careers that are not inherently enhanced by a college degree, yes I know society says different, I just happen not to agree.   I think you can further your education in many ways and college is not the only way.

I often thought I was alone in the way I was thinking because many around me were saying you can't be anything without college, you won't go anywhere or make good money.  I did honestly worry but I always say that things happen for a reason and the first thing that happened was seeing a link to Steve Jobs' 2005 Stanford Commencement Address.  This just confirmed my thinking.  Then I came across this young man which led me to his ZTC (Zero College Tuition) website.  I am so excited to see that people are writing about alternative ways and see that there are options to college and that people are confirming that one road is not necessarily good for all.   So nice to see and I will be reading and learning, I hope many join me.

I am now at the point where I have one who has no interest in college and one who is completely interested in college and two that are too young to even be worrying about it right now.  I know there are some who would even disagree with me on that and say that by middle school they should be thinking about college but no way compared to our time spent in adulthood, childhood is short and I want them to enjoy it and not feel the pressure just yet of evening thinking about it.  Anyway it will be interesting to see how it all plays out down the road.

Looking forward to another great school week at home.  Although tomorrow will not be spent at home, we are headed to George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate, where in celebration of his birthday it is free to enter and enjoy a day of fun.  You can read more about it here.

Happy Schooling =D

No comments: